Finding car window curtains might seem like an antiquated notion, but they are still the best way to get shade and privacy in any vehicle (Click to Learn about your privacy in the car). You might have kids who have a hard time with the sun that hits them every day on their way home from school. Or, you might need a shade that allows people to sleep on long drives.
There are some amazing car window curtains listed below that you might enjoy. Take a look at each of these curtains to learn which would be best for your vehicle given its size, style, and the number of windows you need to cover.
The Bestseller Car Window Curtains & Sunshades
Best Car Window Curtains/Shade Australia
15. Yosoo Car Window Drape
Yosoo has produced a car window drape that features the perfect shade of black, and ruffles in the way you would expect an old-style curtain to ruffle. Moreover, it has UV protection that prevents any light from getting through. These drapes are very easy to install, and the fabric is very soft when it hangs from your car window. All you need to do is attach both the bottom and the top bars to the window frame. Then, you can close these drapes without any issues.
UV protection has the ability to prevent the fabric from getting too hot on a sunny day. Not to mention, it effectively blacks out the window for little kids who are easily disturbed by bright lights. This shade is far too dark and serious for some people but it works well in executive cars that need that professional styling.
- The use of premium quality clothes ensures there is no sunlight that can get through. It also helps prevent heat.
- It gives no harm to your car’s window glass.
- The installation process is very simple.
- It’s only limited to black color.
14. Winomo Sun Shades
The Winomo is one of the most elegant products that you could put in your car. Along with this, the shades can be tied back together when you do not require any cover. This way your car almost looks like a living room that has been opened up for public viewing. You can release the curtains at any time, and they can be slid across the bar to close or open at any rate that you want.
These curtains are a little bit looser than others, but they still give you the sun-blocking protection that you need. They might still make the back of the car hot because you will get some sunlight come in through the bottom of the curtains.
- It can be easily tied once the shades are not in need.
- The purchase includes 4 ABS rails with 3 meters of adhesive tape for ease of installation.
- It does not deliver harm to the car window at all.
- Since it is in black color, it might still absorb a little sunlight into the car when you park the car outside for too long.
13. Zatootoo Sun Shades
Car curtains are often meant to fit the window, and the curtains from Zatootoo will be used when you tack them to the window. The suction system that you use on these shades will stick to any window, and you will find that you can bunch up the curtains to get the shade you need. However, the shades do not cover the whole window because they are attached to the window. You get some sunlight coming through on the edges, and you need to be sure that you are comfortable without full coverage.
- The price is affordable.
- There are two colors to choose from – Black & White
- It has the ability to block up to 97% of the sunlight.
- Although it is able to block a large amount of sunlight, you will notice that some sunlight still gets through the edges.
- It does not look very pleasant.
12. Andux Luxury Sun Shade Car Window Curtain
Andux has made a luxury product that you can use in any vehicle given the bar that will adjust to any window. However, these are not the blackout curtains that you might have gotten from other brands. These curtains are designed to give you a bit of sun blockage while still allowing light to come through the windows.
These curtains turn your car into a kaleidoscope of sun rays, and they can be adjusted on the bar as normal. Anyone who has sleeping children or needs blackout coverage might want to try a different car window curtain, but anyone who loves the sheer look could try these curtains today.
- Users will be able to adjust where they want to cover.
- It offers full blackout coverage.
- There are up to 4 colors to choose from – Black, Black Mesh, Beige, and Grey.
- Some installation for the bars is needed.
11. Manelord Store Winsall Auto Sun Shade – 2 packs of roller
These shun shades roller from Maneloard Store have the ability to block all of the sunlight and sun rays from entering your car interior. Coming in black mesh, it barely allows the outsiders to see what is inside. Not only does it help block the sunlight, but it also helps to control the temperature of your car as well. Interestingly, it comes with the right size that is suitable to be used for a truck, sedan, as well as SUV. Further than this, you can choose to put it into your car window both horizontally or vertically.
- The product can be set in both horizontally or vertically.
- With the mesh, it does not completely blackout.
- It goes with all cars including trucks, sedans, and SUVs.
- It is a bit expensive.
10. Feite Plus Car Shades And Bars
Car privacy curtains should be easy to install with just a bar and the curtain. These shades are meant to be as simple as your curtains at home, and you will find that the curtains can cover much of your window because you can set the bar anywhere that you want.
The shades will slide across the bar, and you can adjust them to let in as much light as you want. You also need to be sure that you have checked how long the bar is so that you know if it will fit into your car.
- It has the ability to block up to 85% of the sunlight.
- The purchase also includes the bars for you to install at the window door of your car.
- It is completely blackout.
- There is no clear instruction.
9. Zatootoo Blue Magnetic Sun Shades
The Zatootoo Blue magnetic sun shades are perfect for you to use when you have kids in the car because you get the fun blue color coming through the car. These shades are magnetic so that you can adjust them for any window, and they are much easier for the kids to use because your children can move them around without using a bar. These shades are easy to use on curved windows, but the color might be a bit too extreme for you if you think it will make it hard for you to drive.
- There is a lot of color and options available.
- Users can adjust where they want it to cover at their convenience.
- It is easy to maintain as it can be removed and washed by either hands or a machine.
What We Don’t Like:
- Some extreme colors might be hard for daytime driving.
8. Manelord Sun Shade – 2Pcs Car Window Shade
Here comes another set of car window curtains from Manelord. This is a kind of window shade roller that comes in 2 packs in the same purchase packaging. Since they have a retractable design, rolling them up and down requires no effort.
- The retractable design makes it easy for you to roll it back and forth.
- This sunshade offers a versatile fitting.
- It is made of Polyvinyl Chloride.
- It requires users to use hot water for washing.
7. ZATOOTO Car Side Window Sun Shades – 4 Pcs
This product from ZATOOTO comes in a pack of 4. Thus, it means that it provides full shade for both front seats and back seats. The car window curtains have the ability to block all the sunlight from entering your car. The reason is that it reflects back those UV rays.
As mentioned by previous users, it blocks up to 97% of the sunlight. This way, no more worries about having to bear with the heat all the time you drive. Besides, all of them are very simple to install to the car window and they are pretty easy to maintain.
- The product comes in 4 pieces.
- It has very affordable pricing.
- They are able to block up to 97% of heat and light.
- The product can be easily maintained.
- Thanks to its built-in magnets, they attach to the window easily.
- They are not really strong, especially because they can get ruined if you happen to adjust inappropriately.
6. AstroAI Car Window Sun Shade-20″ x 12″ Window Shades for Baby
At the first glance, you can already tell that these are very premium products. AstroAI Car Window Sun Shades measure approximately 20 inches x 12 inches large. This makes it suitable for most car windows including trucks, sedans, SUVs, and more. It is capable of blocking out UV rays with its UPF 50+. Furthermore, it is the product of durable materials of 80 GSM mesh. This way, it can fully provide the shades without ruining the outside viewing.
- It is the product of 80 GSM mesh which is capable of blocking UV radiation yet still maintains the outside viewing.
- These car window curtains can block up to 97% of sunlight with its UPF 50+.
- It has a foldable design that makes storing become very easy.
- You need to measure the window of your car properly cause the product can be smaller sometimes.
5. Pull Over Mosquito Net Car Shade
Car window shades are often easiest to use when they are meant to pull around the frame of the door. You can slide this mosquito net over the frame of the window when the door is open, and you will get a lot of coverage when the door is closed. These shades are easier to use, cheap to buy, and provide you with the coverage that you need. You can slide the shade over any window that you like, but the shade will not completely black out the windows.
- You will receive 2 packs of these with a single purchase.
- The product makes it super-duper convenient for usage. You only need to slide it over the window frame of your car.
- It not only block sunlight and UV radiation but also provides fundamental privacy.
- There is also a 1-year warranty.
- Nothing to dislike.
4. Amazon Basics Car Window Pullover Sun Shade – 2-Pack
Amazon made a car window shade that will actually cling around the edges of your car door. You can install this shade in seconds when you are getting ready for a long trip, and the mesh design will deuce the amount of light that makes it through the window on your drive. This is not a shade that you pull back and forth, but it works well on long car trips when you know you will have the sun beating down on you for much of the drive.
- It has the ability to cling around the edges of your car door.
- The installation process takes up to a few seconds only.
- You just cannot pull the window back and forth with these shades on.
3. ggomaART Car Side Window Sun Shade
This product comes in a lot of patterns that you can choose from. Among them, there is also a mesh material product as well. Featuring up to 5 solid and energetic magnets, the attachment of this product to your car door is such a breeze. To make it more securely attached to the window mirror, there are also included suction cups that you can use. Since it is the product of Polyester Fabric, it has the ability to block most of the sunlight from touching you.
- It comes with a lot of lovely patterns.
- The product is very easy and simple to install.
- Thanks to the polyester fabric, it blocks most of the sunlight and other harmful UV rays.
- It is not recommended for front door usage during driving as it can reflect.
2. Pony Dance Sun Shade
The Pony Dance sun shade pulls across a string, and it is very easy to remove from one car and move to another. The Pony Dance shade is meant to blackout an entire window so that you could have a sleeping child in the back of your car. Windows covers for cars are often hard to move around because they come with a bar that is hard to adjust. This shade makes it easy for even your children to adjust. You get coverage in a standard car window, and you could let light in when needed.
- It is easy to install because it comes with suction cups.
- You can pull it to each side and tie it up if you need some views.
- They are the product of solid clothes, not mesh.
- Washing them up is very easy.
- The suction cups can lose their adhesiveness as time passes by.
- It completely blocks the views.
1. Winomo SUV Sun Shades
The Winomo SUV sun shades are very important for people to use because they provide you with enough coverage for a car with big windows. You can get window covers for cars without any trouble, or you might want to use these shades in a big car that might have larger windows. You can use the traditional bar design for these curtains, and they will pull across the bar with no problem. Not all SUVs are the same size, but these curtains can work in most cars. The shades pull across the bar, and they are easy to manage/clean when needed.
- It is suitable for any car that comes with a big window.
- They can roll back and forth or tie down in place for some outside viewing time.
- It does come with a bar for installation.
- There are two colors available – Black & Grey.
- The hanging string put so much contrast to the overall look.
Car window curtains are essential not only for privacy but also to block the sun. On sunny mornings the heat can warm your car and if the sun falls on your face it is difficult to drive with that glare. Even if you are sitting in the car waiting for someone the bright sun can make you uncomfortable, and car window curtains can help you sit in the shade. While it is not a very popular car accessory the necessity for one is increasing these days both for weather conditions and privacy requirements.
Even if your state makes it mandatory that you have clear windows, when your car is parked you can use the privacy curtains to prevent your car from heating up. Even when you leave your pet it is a good idea to use curtains and leave them with the AC on and the shade.
Purpose of Purchasing
There are several brands selling window privacy curtains for cars of different types. Choosing one for your car can be difficult so you should be specific about what you want it for. If you want them just for privacy then you should choose curtains that are built for strength and can effectively black out the window. If you are looking for a curtain that will keep your car cool when it is under the sun, there are more things to consider.
Window curtains come with UV insulation technology, even more, transparent curtains that do not blackout your windows but prevent the sun’s rays from heating up the car. For heat protection, you need to choose a material that is durable and will not start fading because of the sun. There is a lot of advanced heat protection technology available like the usage of cooling fabrics, double mesh protection, and UV protection fabric to name a few.
You might have some design preferences when choosing a car window privacy curtain. Maybe something that goes with the interior of your car or something that is fun to look at for the kids when it’s drawn. Sellers have simple stick-on car curtains for blacking out the windows or sophisticated ones that need to be specially installed which close and open with a button. Car window curtains are no longer restricted to just black meshed panels but come in many shapes and designs. They look like the curtains we use in the house, might be ivory-colored or have cartoon prints on the backside.
While shopping for curtains it is a good idea to take the car with you so the seller can see if it will be suitable or if it will fit your window since some curtains are made specifically for certain models of car. You can get satin curtains or blue curtains that make the interior look very soothing. If choosing detachable curtains, make sure they can be easily collapsed and stored away. If it is difficult to collapse and store in the car, do not buy those curtains.
Ease of Maintenance
Just like you clean the rest of your car, the window curtain will also require washing. So when you are buying, make sure that the car window curtain is made of a washable fabric. In some curtains, only a part of it can be cleaned, see if that suits you. Do not choose curtains that might damage the window. Curtains that have suction cups or can be hung on a rod on the window are better options.
Pay some extra money if the material is more durable than the simple mesh ones which start fraying after a couple of washes. Machine wash-friendly curtains are chosen by most people as there is less hassle. Hand washing your curtains every month is a tough job.
The Benefits of Having a Car Window Curtain
Oftentimes people need to have important discussions in the car and do not wish for every stranger to peek in, having the curtains drawn can ensure privacy. You might even need to grab a quick lunch in the car before heading out, it is easier to get some food from the drive-in and eat in the peace of your car than have the hassle of parking and going into a restaurant. Then too you would not like eyes on you from people in the parking lot. Privacy curtains are a great accessory to have during such times. Women if they are breastfeeding, changing diapers, or if anyone needs to change in a car or take a quick nap require a curtain for privacy.
The sun can get really annoying when you are driving or just waiting in your car. To avoid the glare of the sun on your face, keep the curtains drawn on the other side of the car. Rules prohibit you from keeping any blockage on the driver’s side. Most parking lots are open spaces under the sun.
If you leave your car in the parking lot, it would be good if you can block the heat so you do not come back to burning hot seats. Children left in the car can also be kept cool using car windows, sometimes you do not wish others to know that there are small children alone in the car or even pets. Drawing the private car window curtain can leave your pet or your children in peace.
In accidents or in case of a car break-in, the first thing that happens is the glass window getting shattered. This is especially dangerous if you are sitting in the car, or if you have left a child or a pet in the car when the accident happens. If you have good quality car window curtains installed, the curtain will absorb some of the shocks and there will not be glass pieces flying everywhere. It can save you or your loved ones from serious injury from glass shards.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do you cover car windows for privacy?
A: There are a lot of designs when it comes to car windows for privacy. Some only need you to inside it and slide with the window. At the same time, some come in retractable designs but you may still need to install them to the window mirror – either by suction cups or a bar.
Q: How much can car window curtains for privacy block the sun lights?
A: if you choose the one that reflects back to the outside, at least up to 97% of the sunlight or other UV rays will be blocked. The remaining 3% only comes through the edge opening.
Each shade on this list provides you with a bit of privacy and sun protection. However, all these items are just a little bit different. You might need something that is very executive and professional, or you might choose a shade that looks as though it came from the future. Adjustable bars and heavy curtains ensure that the shade does not move while you are driving, and you could black out parts of the car using these shades instead of traditional window tinting.